Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Outer Touch


It is amazing what a difference a few kilometres makes to a demographic. Utilising my freshly acquired knowledge that the new Maxx Outer Link bus service runs closer to my work than the Inner Link (I looked at a map yesterday), I decided to throw caution to the wind, and used it for my commute this morning.

As I stepped onto the bus and present my Hop card to the electronic reader, my first impression was, where is this bus going? It was like I had stumbled across a mid-week tramping expedition. Gone were the mustard trench coats one sees the inner suburb gentlemen donning to keep out the elements. These bus travellers (see what I did there), were clad head to toe in bright safety first colours of a Kathmandu catalogue. It was like I had stepped into the Gortex vortex.

As I found myself a seat, carefully pushing past the mountainous mass of puffer jackets, back packs and climbing poles, my next thought was where had this bus come from?

A quick scan at the circular map presented on the wall of the bus informed me that it had come from places I have never heard of, Westmere, Mt Albert and Balmoral. No wonder everyone looked so grumpy, how long had they been on this bus?

Suddenly there was a thunderous roar as the sky opened up to a downpour. I made it on the bus just in time I thought to myself. But looking outside the sun was shining. Then the deafening rumble happened again. What was causing this ear-splitting din? Then I realised it was the sound of nylon against nylon as man across the aisle tried to reposition himself in the limited space the bucket shaped seat was providing him.

I did not have a lot of room in my seat either. It must have been the lady sitting next to me turn to provide lunch for the 150 staff at her work. Nothing else could explain the size of the pack bag wedged onto her lap.

As the bus trundled along its route I tried to look around the bus to see what other differences were prominent from the Inner suburb link I has caught previously. There was no glow from the numerous iPhones one sees on the Inner Link as punters update their blog or twitter. This perhaps is not a bad thing, or maybe people's phones were buried too deep in their Mac Packs to be able to get out. I was not the only one without much space due to most seats been occupied by two puffer jacket wearing individuals, where the puff seems to engulf any available space.  

Other observations were the lack of the latest style of glasses, hair and designer beard. These were replaced with goggles, woolly hats and beards that looked like they had not seen civilisation for many months.

Needless to say, I was the only person on the bus in a three piece, and post to my departure the driver would have been the best dressed.